Monday, January 19, 2009

Writer's Block and 2008 mileage

I have been pondering all weekend (because I had a long weekend) what I wanted to blog about but I have had some writer's block. There are some exciting things to come regards to my grad school opportunities, but until it's all finalized, I want hold some of it close. But, in a sneak peek, the good news is that I WILL be going to graduate school full time starting the fall of 2010. :) More to come as far as that goes, but suffice it to say, it's all good and I'm very happy about it.

I did make some homemade pizza yesterday as a friend of mine and her two daughters were coming over. I decided that pizza was a fairly good option for kids. The crust is pretty good and VERY easy to make, again, I credit my Mom with it:
RAPID RISE PIZZA CRUSTS
Makes 2 crusts

2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup white wheat flour
1 ½ tsp sea salt
1 package Rapid Rise yeast
1 Cup water
2 Tbs. grape seed oil (I didn't have grape seed and used olive)

Place 2 Cups flour, salt and yeast in large mixing bowl. Blend. Heat water and oil until hot to touch (125F-130F); stir into dry mixture. Add only enough extra flour to make stiff dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 mins. Cover, let rest 10 mins. Divide dough in half. Roll and stretch each into a 13” circle. Place on pizza stone that has been greased or sprinkled with cornmeal. Bake at 450F for 8 min. Spread with choice of toppings and bake 10-12 mins more, or wrap and freeze for up to 6 weeks.

Of course, you may put whatever you want on top, but this is a nice, easy, and fairly healthy way to make your own pizza at home and avoid some of the not so good pizza additions you may find at other places.

I did realize that I didn't post my "miles traveled" in training here yet. If you've followed for awhile, you'll remember in mid-2008 I posted how far I had "traveled" with the swim, bike, and the run. So here is 2008 for you:

2008 totals
Bike: 211h 50m 09s - 3811.61 Mi
Run: 161h 36m 30s - 1163.25 Mi
Swim: 96h 12m 56s - 238686.8 M
Strength: 39h 18m

So I rode my bike from here in TX to visit my brother in NY, then visited lots of family and friends along the east coast, then some friends in FL, and a trip to Panama City Beach for some "on site training" for Ironman Florida '09, then I went to Nashville just because TN is pretty and Nashville is fun.

I had a friend from Rapid City, SD come down for the Longhorn 70.3 in October, so when calculating my run mileage I found that I ran about from where I live to where she lives.

For swimming, I decided I'd just head south and I ended up right on the edge of San Antonio!

So, now we'll see "where" and "how far" 2009 will take me!

2 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Yeah, I go through periods where I feel like I have little to write about too. I think everyone does from time to time. But no doubt you have been busy in 2008 racking up some serious miles. I'm sure you'll do even more in 2009 with the IMFL training. Look forward to hearing more about your grad school plans!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brittany! Good to see you doing well in all these pictures :o) John and I have gotten into Cross Fit and Cross Fit Endurance (www.crossfit.com and www.crossfitendurance.com), so we've missed the tri season entirely last year. John has one more year of basic training command and we'll get our weekends free again.

hey - what do you do to motivate yourself on the bike? I hate biking. It takes forever (compared to running or swimming), and we have transportation training here, so no matter what road you are on, there is some PFC in a HMMT right behind you learning how to drive for the first time in his life. No matter what time of day, you get hit by a long convoy of "STUDENT DRIVER" tags on massive machines. Just not promising in terms of long-term survival.....