Sunday, March 16, 2008

Waffles!

So, I like waffles, but I don't like white flour and I don't like oil. I prefer to use good carbs (whole grains), so here is my waffle recipe--they taste great and are much BETTER for you!! For toppings I use everything from 100% Maple Syrup (no High Fructose Cornsyrup, that's evil stuff!), to natural perserves, to some Light and Fit Vanilla yogurt with some homemade granola (I'll post this sometime too) on top--heavenly!

1 C. Whole Wheat Flour (if you don't get the grind yourself, get unbleached/unbromated flour)
3/4 C Oatmeal Flour (just take old fashioned oats in a food processor and blend!)
1/2 C pumpkin puree (100% pumpkin) or unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp baking powder
1 3/4 C skim milk or soy milk
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
Cinnamon
Nuts (pecans, walnuts, etc.)

Mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl, mix the milk, yolks, pumpkin/applesauce in a bowl and then mix with dry ingredients just till all wet (some lumps are okay); beat the egg whites till there are stiff peaks; then mix with the rest, but don't overbeat. Add cinnamon and nuts as desired (or fruit, anything you'd like).

Cook in a waffle iron and enjoy! Extra waffles go fine in the fridge, and then toast for a healthy breakfast the next day!

1 comment:

April Drolet said...

I am going to make these, but I need to get to the the store because I don't have any pumpkin!