Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Muffins, Boston, and Ironman

You know my life is busy when I'm only posting once a week. Between balancing the multiple tasks that go with preparing to take company command (19 Sept!!) and some heavy training, life has just been busy! I had a pretty big training weekend between Fri-Sun. Today I got in a good open water swim at Lake Belton and a quick run. This past week my Newtons came in...now, I didn't pay full price for them, it was a good deal through the Army Tri Club. I have used them on two runs, and I like them thus far. This is my LAST big build week before my workouts start to decrease before the Longhorn Half-Ironman. I had the opportunity to ride the Longhorn bike course on Saturday and I like the course, there are just some fairly new road cracks that the drought and heat has caused. So, those are somewhat a concern. But, I think if I have a good day I can pull of a 3hr. bike, which would be AWESOME. More predictions to come for that.

This past week I also made two BIG decisions.
#1- I registered for the 113th Boston Marathon on 20 April 2009. I don't have my "official" acceptance yet, but no worries, my 3:34:00 at the AT&T Austin Marathon assures me a spot. So, you can easily guess what I'll be training for during this winter. I won't stop swimming and biking, as I think cross-training is important, but those two will be for maintaining fitness in those sports, but I will be working on my marathon speed! Now to find a place to stay in Boston...
#2- I bought my tickets to go spectate/volunteer/cheer on racers at Ironman Florida 2008 on 1 Nov 08. Not only are there lots of great racers for me to cheer on, but I also intend to stand in line on 2 Nov 08 to get my "golden ticket" to take on the course in 2009. Next year I will become an Ironman! I am so excited about it!!

Obviously, my focus of 2009 will be Boston in the Spring and Ironman Florida in the Fall. This year may have had lots of mileage, but next year is more focused and it'll be a journey like none other I've done outside of the military. It will stretch my boundaries, challenge me physically and mentally, require strict time management, and a level of determination and personal discipline! Am I nervous about it all, yes. BUT, that nervousness of the challenge is what entices me and calls me to do it. I will learn from it. It will make me a better person, a better athlete, and a better Army Officer. It will be a journey from start to finish. Ironman is not just race day, it's the months of training, sweat, and tears that culminates in a long-day of adrenaline highs and lows over 140.6 miles, but ends with the coveted title of IRONMAN. In 2009 it will be my personal journey. Stay tuned!

Lastly, muffins--see I didn't forget! I have been experimenting with muffins lately, and here is one I tried that I like. I tweaked one from a yogurt container and it is pretty yummy!
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 Cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
1 Cup sukonot (unrefined sugar) OR organic brown sugar
1.5 TBSP of baking powder
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 cup raisins (plumped--soak in water for an hour)
2 Cups Light and Fit Vanilla or Strawberry yogurt (I used Strawberry this time)
2 eggs
4 TBSP pumpkin (or you could use pureed sweet potatoes or applesauce--this is in place of oil)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use Baking Pam to grease muffin tins (don't use paper cups--when you don't use oil in a recipe, paper cups just stick to muffins). Stir together dry ingredients; in another bowl whisk together yogurt, egg, pumpkin, and raisins. Mix the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined. Back in the middle of the oven rack for 23-25 minutes. Approx 150 cals per muffin. They are yummy, moist, and healthy!!

6 comments:

The Traveling Yogi said...

How exciting that you've decided to do Ironman Florida in 09. You will do great. I've seen your postings on beginnertriathlete and I've read your blog for a while and you have what it takes. I'll be at Longhorn, too, (although you'll finish WAY ahead of me) so I hope to meet you there.

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

good for you!!!!

goals! i finally listed mine online...but i have MUCH further to go than you.

Should be a fun journey next year!

Stef0115 said...

"Exciting" hardly seems to do this justice -- what phenomenal plans you have. Can't wait to watch you go for it!

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

that recipe looks great!
I think I was more excited to sign up for Boston and other IM's than actually counting down the days until the race! it's official...you are going to Boston :)
can't wait for your IM!
That is great you are volunteering. :)
-marn

ShirleyPerly said...

I'm excited for you!!

Boston is like a big 26.2 mile long party and truly an experience like no other. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. And IMFL, well, I'm sure you'll do better than me ;-)

Look forward to following your journey!

melissa said...

I want to hear more about these Newtons. Do tell. Worthy investment?

Haven't checked this blog in a bit, but I see lots has been going on in your world. Glad everything worked out OK for you and your family with this Ike nonsense!