Wednesday, October 1, 2008

APFT and Taper

Apparently Half-Ironman training is conducive to an EXCELLENT APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test). I'm sure it helps that it's taper week prior to the "A" race for the year. Yep, it all pieced together, and now my Soldiers know their new commander isn't just yapping about PT being important and that drastic improvement IS possible--I've shown it. So, what did today look like--some of it blew me away too:
2 mins of pushups: 72
2 mins of situps: 122 (<--insane, I don't even know how this happened...I haven't been doing them often AT ALL)
2 mile run: 13:08...to think, I used to think I could NEVER get to a max score in the 15's...now I'm thinking about how I hit the 12's for my next one...if we hadn't had 3 turn arounds on the run today (.5 mile and back route) I think I might've shaved those 8 seconds off...
Needless to say, I'm pretty pleased.

Command has had me BUSY which is good because I haven't been able to think/focus on the taper tantrums that have happened in the past before big races. Next few days are REALLY easy. NEARLY THERE!!! BRING IT ON!

3 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

OUTSTANDING!!! I'm sure you gained a whole lot of respect from your soldiers. Heck, I'm just in awe of you!

JT said...

Anything more than about 10 pushups is impressive to me!!! :-) That's a huge weakness of mine.

I'm planning to pick up my packet on Friday and hit the race briefing at 5:00. Maybe I'll see you there?

Anonymous said...

Hey - right on!! You have me by a mile on the pushups and situps (50 and 86 respectively), but I pulled off a 12:39 on the 2 mile run with a decent hill in it this past Friday (a PR). You are my inspiration to improve with the other two. You are a total benchmark of success. I told John how you were doing and he's stoked for you. We're both your total cheering squad!

In honor of you, I'm going to put a half-I on my race schedule next fall. I've never gone past an Olympic, but you are my inspiration! I'll just read your blog when I start feeling intimidated.

Have you thought about getting a blue shirt with a big red S on it????