Thursday, October 16, 2008

Perspective

1 Timothy 4:8 "For physical training is of some value, but Godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."

My little brother (but big brother, solid muscle type) reminded me of this the other day after Longhorn, and I appreciated it a lot. Both of us have become very active in the past few years, and would probably both say that our sports are "addictive" in a good way. It is easy to get completely consumed by them and forget that it is a momentary thing and not the most important thing. We must do things beyond it, and if possible, integrate it into what we do so that we do our sports with a purpose. What we do in life and how we approach life, from family, to job, to hobbies, to speech, to decisions, basically everything should have a purpose and reflect who we are as individuals. We should be genuine. I want to be genuine...I am not perfect, far from it. Pride is always an issue I've dealt with, especially when God blesses you with success beyond what you could imagine. One thing I'm passionate about is leadership, and in that, I don't mean the dictatorial level of leadership, but rather servant leadership...leadership in a way that leaves a legacy, builds others, challenges others, and encourages them to do the same. Yes, I train, I do triathlon, I run, but I do it not for my glory, but because I have been given a gift: work ethic, athletic ability (more grown than totally natural), and the opportunity to interact with a variety of people. When I swim, bike, and run I do it, in a sense, as a way to worship--to say this is what I've been given, I will use it, and encourage others to do it because it does make the body better, it does open up doors for a variety of opportunities. This may sound funky to some of you, but that is the beauty of being an American. I won't ever force it on someone, but I will live it and do my best, with His help, to live it as is supposed to be, to crush the hypocritical stereotype that plagues Christians. I won't be perfect, but I'll own up to my mess ups and change and grow up with it.

I train because I've been given a gift...it is not the end all to be all, but it is a blessing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS- On a wholly UNRELATED note...this is my 101st blog post! :)

5 comments:

The Traveling Yogi said...

Great post! I, too, look at my running, cycling, triahtloning (is that a word???) as a gift. I first got involved in endurance events in 2005. I joined Team in Training to do my first marathon in honor of my brother-in-law who is a lymphoma survivor. I've stayed involved to help others and to run because I can, and they may not be able to. In all my running races where I wear my TNT jersey, I have Hebrews 12:1 on the back of my jersey. "...let us run with endurance the race set before us." I've gotten many compliments and comments throughout my races.

Keep on running!!!!

ShirleyPerly said...

And this is why I think you're a great role model and leader. I too find that endurance sports can be quite addicting and potentially as destructive as any other addiction if allowed to become the center of one's universe. There's much more to life. Great post!

Stef0115 said...

It truly is a blessing. It helps to remember that every day.

Congrats on post 101 too.

Anonymous said...

wow...well put!! I needed that today in a BIG way. As I deal w/this illness that stole Longhorn from me and has my fitness level NON-EXISTENT after 3 long weeks (and counting) of no workouts - I have been talking to Him about ALL of this. "Why do I tri?" If its not all for the glory of God...then, I need to re-think my motives. Thanks for confirming some things I needed right at this moment...so glad I found your blog! 8-)

1st cor 10:31

Pony and Petey said...

I'm so happy to have found your blog!! I linked through Jessica's...

I've bookmarked you and look forward to reading about your running, biking, swimming, racing adventures in the days to come.

101 posts...I have alot of catching up to do = )

Pony