Sunday, March 29, 2009

Down but NOT out

Well, it appears I am going to have to make a wise decision. I am struggling with a lower leg injury--it was most likely brought on by tight calves and some damage by the crash (that I thought was minimal). My right lower leg, especially the calf, and bottom right area near the ankle, is strained/sprained, something like that. Anyhow, I cannot run, I mean even slow run. I tried running today and only made it a 1/4 of a mile (after a week of NO running) before pain was back and I limped home. From everything I've read, and some medical friends (sports doc and nurse practitioner) it sounds like it's something that will take a good 4-6 weeks of stopping the offending activity (running). Biking and swimming, being non-impact, doesn't seem to bother it...so that is good, and I will take up some aqua jogging to try to keep the loss of run fitness at a minimum.

HOWEVER, it also means I have to change some race plans. I am scheduled for the Lonestar Half-Iron this next weekend (5 April). Thankfully, they have an AquaBike option (1.2 mile swim/56 mile bike)--same as the Half-Iron, just no run. I can do that! I can probably do it REALLY well. I have never "hammered" 56 miles, but you bet I will next Sunday! I won't have to hold back for the run!!

AND...while I hate to do it, I'm going to defer my Boston Marathon entry to 2010. I got my card packet in the mail this week and was excited, but thankfully I can defer and I know it's the right thing to do. If I can't hardly do a 1/4 of a mile right now, it's not wise to try 26.2 miles in 3 weeks. The big goal for the year is Ironman Florida--that is still FAR enough away for me to heal up and be fully trained up, especially if I focus on swimming and cycling fitness and work the aqua jog into it. Boston will still be there next year. One of my best friends will be just an hour away in Rhode Island and has already said I can stay with her.

While I am not happy to not do the full Half-Iron or Marathon, cause without the injury, I would've done well---I am also not going to let this minor disappointment in life rule me. God has given me so much, and so many others--like those supported by the Wounded Warrior Project--have to deal with such worse circumstances, that I think I can have some patience for these next few weeks. Hopefully, I will heal up and start my true "triathlon" season at the CapTex Tri over Memorial Day. Until then, it's a swim/cycle focus, and I'm going to learn to aqua jog. Adapt and overcome--the Army has taught me that, and I learned in High School, when I truly had a bad injury (ruptured ACL) that God can teach me wonderful things in times where my body has to heal. He is in charge, after all!

10 comments:

sallyaston said...

So sorry :-( I was in the same situation a few months ago but I didnt have as much at stake (Boston!). You made a wise decision and you will rock the aquabike! Hebrews 10:39 helped me a lot during injury. Take care!

laura said...

So sorry about your injury but I think you are making the wisest decision possible. I thought doing Boston and a full IM in 1 year is a bit much; risk of injury and burn-out. At least you have the good sense to realize that you have to pull back now.
I dealt w/lots of foot injuries last season and did a good bit of aqua jogging. I got some 'floaties' from Kiefer to go around the ankles and provide more resistance on the legs, made the workouts tougher and made me 'feel' like I was getting more from them.

Best of luck; hang in there; NOV is still a long way off!
Laura

kris said...

look at your lone star aquabike as an OPPORTUNITY...go set some PRs!! I understand your frustration...I got hit w/shingles 3 days b4 Longhorn in Oct and am working my way back slowly...frustrating...but, learning so much that God had intended for me to know - but, I was probably too focused on other things (race goals, for one) to see them.

Hang in there...remember, thru all of it - "you get to"

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

hang in there...i'm here for your support! get better soon!

JT said...

Take care of yourself and get better!!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Hey Brittany, just catching up on what's been going on with you and am bummed to hear about your injury. But great long term attitude. You have options and are making good use of them (deterring Boston and switching the tri to the aquabike). Way to keep moving ahead!

Trishie said...

so sorry about the injuries, but I applaud your decisions -- very smart and will definitely pay off in the long run. and the AquaVelo instead of the HIM --- very cool to have that option !

Lora Abernathy said...

I think you've made some very smart decisions. That's great that your half has an aquabike. I know that would make me feel better being able to at least do that.

Take care!

- Lora (lkagop on BT)

Unknown said...

Oh no... I think you are being wise though in keeping off it if possible and letting it heal! Have fun with the Aqua bike... it's something different - they do them around here too and I've been kicking it around for later this summer! And that's awesome that you can defer Boston - not ideal but you want that experience to be the best possible!

Kristin Bradfield said...

Sorry to see you're injured. Take the time to recover and you'll be right back at it!