I don't have a Brittany original for you today, but I do have a Mom original for you! We both like baking, but have totally turned towards the whole grain side of things. This bread recipe is not only healthy but OH SO DELICIOUS!! Make your house smell like a bakery and treat yourself to some healthy carbs with this delicious recipe.
SIMPLE WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
Makes 3 loaves
· 3 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
· 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
· 1/3 cup honey
· 5 cups whole wheat flour
· 3 tablespoons butter or Earth Balance, melted
· 1/3 cup honey
· 1 tablespoon salt
· 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
· 2 tablespoons butter or Earth Balance, melted
1. In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 1/3 cup honey. Add 5 cups white bread flour, and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minutes, or until big and bubbly.
2. Mix in 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/3 cup honey, and salt. Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour. Flour a flat surface and knead with whole wheat flour until not real sticky - just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to touch. This may take an additional 2 to 4 cups of whole wheat flour. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled.
3. Punch down, and divide into 3 loaves. Place in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans, and allow to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes; do not overbake. Lightly brush the tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine when done to prevent crust from getting hard. Cool completely
**I recommend using fresh ground Praire Gold Wheat Flour