Friday, March 28, 2008

Race Weekend

So, if you can't tell yet, I'm pretty fond of this running/triathlon racing thing. This weekend I'll take on my second triathlon- the LoneStar 1/4 Iron Triathlon in Galveston, TX. I will be swimming .6 miles (965 meters), biking 28 miles, and running 6.5 miles. We will be swimming in the bay at Moody Gardens, so surf won't be an issue. It is a deep water start, meaning we get in and swim out to the start area and start from there. The water temps should be around 67-68 degrees, and I have a triathlon wetsuit (sleeveless--I'll get sleeves someday) so I'm not worried about chilly water. My competitive personality will take over and keep me warm! We'll encounter some wind on the bike for sure (it is Galveston), but it's FLAT, and this is important to me. The wind won't bother me too much on the run. The run, incredibly in comparison to my past, is by far my strength. So, what are my goals--sometimes I'm hesitant to throw these out, but I have so I might as well put it out there and if I don't reach it, oh well, must just strive further. So, here goes:
Swim: Avg. 1:50-1:55 per 100m
Bike: Avg. 17.5-19 mph on the bike (big span here, I know--but I haven't done this distance much outside, and definitely no flat courses...wind may be a factor)
Run: Ideal- 7:45 or less per mile pace, Reality: 7:45-8 min/mile pace.
With those, I'd like to finish in the top 5 of my age group, we will see! I will post some race notes later.

Also, on the triathlon front, I am starting to look at planning to do an Ironman (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) in 2009. You have to sign up a year in advance, and I want to make sure I can still train for and strongly run the Boston Marathon in April '09. I also don't want a very hilly course--I don't mind hills for the running that much (except for i might after the swim and bike! haha), but would rather not for the bike. Ironman Arizona in the fall wouldn't be bad, but for various reasons, it'll be impossible to sign up for this year. So, I think Ironman Florida (IMFL) in Nov '09 would be my best shot. I need to be there in person for this years race to sign up for next year, so if my new job allows, etc., I plan to volunteer for IMFL this year and sign up for next year! I called a friend of mine nuts when she said she was going to do one of these...now I'm biting at the bit to train hard and race hard one of these. Any and all fans are welcome (this is true for any of my races--so Longhorn Half-Ironman in Oct, Boston '09, IMFL '09...come on out! You might get addicted though and find yourself trying this out!).

No comments: