Sunday, March 23, 2008

'Tis Easter Sunday (and more)

Here it is, Easter again. It is a very early Easter this year. I heard discussion on the radio about the fact that Easter will not be this early again until 2200 something. The date is, of course, based on the Hebrew calendar for when Passover is, etc. The meaning behind Easter, though, is deep yet simple, and I could spend considerable time discussing it, but let me capture it in a simple thought: The miracle of salvation is not Jesus' death on the cross on Good Friday, the miracle is that He conquered the grave on Easter Sunday. He is Risen!

The miracle of Easter should be alive in Christians everyday, with Easter simply as a day specifically remember and celebrate the miracle. Many spend the day with family, feasting, and activities. I haven't really done that in several years because I haven't been in the place to do that. I've spent 2 of the last 5 Easter's in Iraq....and maybe that's why the day itself is rough on me as I can truly say that first Easter was one the most traumatic/horrific days of my life. So, while the meaning of Easter is dear and essential to my faith, I think since 2004 it has been a bittersweet day due to memories. But Happy Easter nonetheless!

The 5K went well yesterday, in fact, it was quite the Personal Record (PR) from my last one, running it at in 19 min, 40 secs. I wish I knew how I developed speed or what made me fast. Those of you that know me, know I am not built like a runner, I have not always been fast, and it is probably some weird fluke that I am now! However, I really love it. I won my age group (F18-29) and the overall women's category. I really hope their future runs are longer (10K) or they add some different things. I hate to say it, but a 5K is almost too easy now...I mean, sure I want to get faster, but 5Ks may be too short a run for me. Plus, I have found that once I "conquer" something, I have this innate urge to take on something bigger. Thus, the progression to 1/2 and full marathons, and triathlons. I have another triathlon, at a longer distance, next weekend. I am really excited about it! I think I shall stop my rambling here today and go do the things I need to do! Be blessed this Easter Sunday!

No comments: